jueves, 25 de diciembre de 2008

Twilight trio.




Who turns out to be the most fun of the Twilight castmembers to interview? Two vamps and a wolfboy! We sat down with feisty red-head Rachelle Lefevre (Victoria), funny and well-spoken Edi Gathegi (Laurent) and very cute Taylor Lautner (Jacob) in Beverly Hills recently and got the impression that these actors enjoy each other's company and had a blast on their Portland, Oregon shoot for the film.
Rachel told us about a very early fan encounter, Edi talked about Laurent's elegant "look" and Taylor convinced us that teen Quileute Indian guys are questing for girls in bikinis just like every other guy their age. Join our wacky and fun chat and paint a mental picture of gorgeous, red-haired Rachelle in black jacket, tee and shorts, high black mary-jane heels and a long gold pendant necklace. Edi was wearing casual baseball cap, tee and jeans, the total opposite of the Laurent look, Taylor, whose hair is still black but short and spikey-cute, in jeans, white tennies and a white long-sleeved tee with gold crest design.

  • TeenHollywood: Rachelle, Victoria has some interesting clothes in the movie. Did you have any say into Victoria's costumes at all?
Rachelle: Oh yeah! Catherine (Hardwicke, the director) and I were in a room with racks and racks of clothing and we started telling each other what we thought about the character based on the three books. We got as much information as we could and then, from there, it unfolded in this three hour fitting where I was in all kinds of crazy things; leather pants to jeans to cut-off shorts and all kinds of crazy outfits and we just played and made sure that we had a story for everything. Everything had a purpose. Yeah, I felt really involved in the costume process.
Edi: I remember Catherine was really hands on. She brought in a belt from her personal wardrobe for me to wear but we couldn't use it because I had a stunt double and you needed to have two of everything and she only had that one belt.
Rachelle: She'll give you the shirt off her back. Anything for the film, totally.
Edi: And it my case, no shirt off her back (we all laugh).
Rachelle: Which was the best thing for the film (more laughter).
  • TeenHollywood: Taylor, did you have fun with Jacob's long hair?
Taylor: Oh yes, tons of fun. No! (laughs). When I first found out I was going to be wearing a wig, I was really excited. I was like Oh, cool! and, after the first day, I was done with it.
  • TeenHollywood: The '80's rocker vibe just wore off, huh?

Taylor: (laughs). Yeah. It was itchy. It was in my mouth when I was trying to eat. When I was doing the scenes, it was in my mouth when I was trying to talk so yeah.

  • TeenHollywood: Did you guys refrain from looking at any of the blog stuff at all or did you check it out and go what did they say about me and my character?
Edi: At the beginning, I think all of us were very, very curious because I don't think any of us had been a part of anything this big before and I saw that the fans were sort of disgruntled about my casting choice because Stephenie doesn't necessarily have an African-American in the book but Laurent is described as being 'olive-toned' so what I did is I decided to address the issue head on, I said listen, she describes this character as being 'olive-toned' but there are many different types of olives. Black olives anyone? (laughter). Then the next day the fans read it and they became instant supporters and believers saying things like As far as I'm concerned, black olives are the only olives in my world and he's perfect for the job.
Rachelle: He's a genius, by the way.
Taylor: It's hard for the fans because they're just so in love and dedicated to the series. They have this really detailed picture of what their favorite character is supposed to look like and act like. So, it's hard for them. I try and stay away from it. I'd say the weirdest thing I have seen on the internet is a frieNegritand of mine or family member sent me a link and asked me what this was. I clicked on the link and there was women's thongs being sold on the internet with my name imprinted on the front of it Team Taylor.
Rachelle: Welcome to your new life.
  • TeenHollywood: Taylor, did you study any werewolf lore or anything about Indians in that part of the country?
Taylor: Yeah, I actually did. Before I went up to Portland, I did some research on the internet about the Quileute tribe and I learned some of their legends; very interesting. I made a booklet and brought that booklet up with me to Portland and I got to meet like eight or ten Quileute tribal members. They came down to Portland to meet me. I just had dinner with them and talked with them and the biggest surprise was learning that the kids are just like me. Their hobbies are football and, quote, checking out girls on the beach. (laughter) Pretty fun to learn.
Rachelle: At which point, he knew he could play the role perfectly (laughter).
  • TeenHollywood: Edi, you play your character Laurent as very classy and royal in the way you carry yourself. When you created your character did you re-read those parts of the book or just create your own stance and look?
Edi: The book was the source material. That's where I started from and I did my own personal research and imaginative work. I was trying to model parts of my character after Saint George (Monsieur de Saint-George) who was this famous French black man who was a fencer and a renowned lover and a general of an army who was like the Renaissance man; very regal. And I thought maybe Laurent, in his human form, was like friends with this guy and that was the circle that he traveled in.
  • TeenHollywood: Very cool! Have any of you had problems with fans rushing up to you yet?
Taylor: I think we've all encountered it.
Rachelle: I had one that caught me off guard. We had just finished filming and I had been back in L.A. for a month or two and I went to a very, very small bar to have a drink with a girlfriend and celebrate her birthday. After three or four songs, I went outside to get some air and I hear (intake of breath) Are you playing Victoria in Twilight? I was like Oh my God, it's one in the morning. I turned around and there were these girls who must have been about twenty-two, that happened to be walking by this tiny little bar at exactly the same time that I was going out to get air. At that point they hadn't aired clips from the film. Nobody had seen anything. There had just been the internet with our casting and our photos and I thought oh, my God, if this is what's happening now... Yeah, and especially for the guys. We have such a strong female fan base.
  • TeenHollywood: How about the guys? Anyone asking you out on dates or any marriage proposals?
Rachelle: They were screaming things like that at them at Comic Con marry me!
Edi: I wanna have your babies! (laughter)
Taylor: Yeah, we had the babies incident.
Rachelle: That's a good sound-byte, we had the babies incident.
Edi: The panties incident, the thong incident.
  • TeenHollywood: Taylor, are you getting to use your martial arts?
Taylor: I'm doing a TV show called My Own Worst Enemy with Christian Slater and I have the genetic make-up of his superspy side so I get to use some of it in that. I've got a lot of cool action stuff.
Rachelle: We'll TIVO it.
Edi: Let's watch it together (the two guys high-five).
Rachelle: I don't get invited? (pouting, then the guys hug her).
  • TeenHollywood: What do you guys think the whole Twilight series of books and the films do for the vampire legend?

Edi: I think this is more of a romance story than anything else with the vampires as a backdrop. The mythology is completely different. There's no fangs or garlic or anything like that so I think it's bringing heart to a dark world. That's what the new tint is, if you color it.
Rachelle: The thing that I think is so interesting about it is that it's not an alternate universe; vampires live among us in this world. Everything that would make it possible to have this change, this virus, this infection, is still live in the world. For me, I think the fact that Stephenie (Meyer) did that, opens up all kinds of new possibilities for the genre because vampires are no longer only at night. So, opening those doors creates many new avenues for the whole genre.

  • TeenHollywood: Taylor, did you build up more of a backstory in your head of how you knew Bella as a kid? Did you expand that or talk with Kristen about it?

Taylor: Yeah, I did in my own head and the series does explain it a little bit. What I came up with is that Jacob and Bella, their fathers have been best friends and they knew each other when they were younger and she moved to Phoenix and then when she comes back to Forks, it's the first time he's seen her in a long time since they were kids. Now she's older and she's lookin' very good and Jacob has the hots for her.

  • TeenHollywood: Very well said. What was Catherine like as a director? What was she to you guys?

Taylor: Goofball!
Edi: She's got a wonderful, childlike energy that's infectious. It's a joy to work with somebody that eager to get things done and that happy to be there.
Rachelle: I knew she was going to be amazing in my audition actually because somebody had to read James so Catherine just jumped up and went, I'll do it and so my audition tape is actually me and Catherine. There was Catherine crouching down and really getting into it. I was like who are you? You're amazing! So, I knew immediately and she carried that energy through the whole thing.

  • TeenHollywood: Had Cam (Gigandet) already been cast at that point?

Rachelle: I don't know actually. It's very possible that he was but she could have done it. She was like you brought a snack, with the voice and everything. It was crazy and awesome.


No hay comentarios: